Using augmented reality (AR) in the classroom makes learning topics jump out off the page! Unlike traditional 2D teaching resources, students can explore topics in 3D with AR. From human hearts, fighter planes, to a T-Rex, students can pick up and examine endless educational resources – resulting in so many benefits of augmented reality in education...
Table of contents
What is the Role of Augmented Reality in the Classroom?
Augmented reality is an interactive technology that overlays digital features onto the real world. You’ve probably come across examples of augmented reality in your day-to-day life, such as virtually trying on clothing & accessories or using interactive elements of online games, but how does it work? And what makes it so useful for education? Check out this guide to learn about all things augmented reality.
“AR brings models and topics to life. Students can overcome the limitations of learning with simple 2D images or diagrams, and can instead observe, explore and manipulate 3D models that are linked to the topic. Improving the visual impact of these resources can improve student understanding while bringing new dimensions to learning opportunities.” @Rocco_Avantis - Educational Specialist, Avantis Education
The features of AR technology make it a perfect match for education. By integrating digital resources into the classroom, augmented reality lets students interact and engage with learning. Instead of being confined to reading and writing on worksheets, students can hold and examine topic-specific learning resources in the palm of their hands! These opportunities mean augmented reality can benefit education in a range of ways...
What are the Benefits of Augmented Reality in Education?
From engaging students to improving interaction and providing access to endless resources, there are some incredible benefits of augmented reality in education. So let's go through them!
- Improved classroom engagement: Augmented reality is engaging! Studies have shown that student attention and engagement improve when learning with AR. A great example of this is the Episcopal School of Baton Rouge, US, where teachers have been using AR learning experiences as a “hook” to engage and amaze their students. The solar system, the human body and so much more – the teachers have been adding the “wow factor” to their lessons with augmented reality!
- Better interaction and communication: Augmented reality lets students explore, create and collaborate with their peers. Students can view AR resources together in real time, or even examine and discuss 3D models and worlds created by their peers – all of which encourage interaction! Teachers at Emmanuel College, Australia have been improving interaction by getting students to create incredible buildings in Minecraft, then collaboratively exploring their creations in augmented reality using ClassVR headsets!
- Multi-sensory learning experiences: Augmented reality = experiential learning! AR lets students actively participate in every lesson, stimulating multiple senses. This multi-sensory approach benefits education by engaging students with the content and improving sensory development. Over in the US, teachers at Stoughton High School have been stimulating students’ senses with engaging 3D models of monuments and locations around Spain – helping students to embrace Spanish culture and improve their language knowledge without leaving the classroom!
- Create memorable lessons: Learning is memorable with augmented reality! By stimulating senses and creating emotional responses in students, AR helps create unforgettable lessons where learning is productive! For example, in this engaging Physics lesson from the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team – the Red Arrows – students can examine 3D models of Hawk jets, then create their own with CoSpaces. By getting students to experience these concepts first-hand, teachers can improve cognitive recall and embed the learning into student’s long-term memories.
- Access to endless resources: With augmented reality, you can access thousands of resources, all at the click of a button! Gone are the days of purchasing expensive plastic models for every classroom in your school. After initially securing a solution like ClassVR (VR & AR headsets designed for education), teachers have all the 3D resources they could ever need – saving valuable time, creating accessibility and reducing costs.
Why Use Augmented Reality in Education?
Augmented reality benefits education by helping teachers provide engaging multi-sensory learning experiences that improve student interaction and knowledge retention – all while providing access to endless content and resources. These advantages of augmented reality in education are enabling educators to transform teaching and learning, and AR is used by thousands of schools every single day.